- Initial setup is recommended on a DHCP network. If DHCP is not available, there are a couple methods for static network setup.
- Upload bandwidth needs to be sufficient for the video bitrate set in the Encoder Settings.
- Use a network speed diagnostic tool such as speedtest.net to determine your maximum upload bandwidth.
Connecting to Videon devices remotely
- Port forwarding can be used to connect from a non-local network to Videon devices. Contact the network administrator about how to port forward as well as if the network can account for the security risks that come along with port forwarding.
- Password Authentication can be enabled on Videon devices
- Using a VPN is another, more secure, method of connecting remotely to Videon devices.
Setting up Videon devices for a static network or static IP workflow
Connect the device to a DHCP network, go to Device Settings and select "Static" for the address assignment.
- Ensure that the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS Address are all valid for the particular network the Videon device will be used on. Contact the network administrator for questions on what values to use for the respective fields.
- If you cannot get a hold of your network administrator, try checking the IP address of your PC that is on the same network. Example: PC IP = 192.168.1.144, the Videon device IP address should be at least 192.168.xxx.xxx, but ideally 192.168.1.xxx.
- The valid format for all fields is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, with x being a digit. Leading zeros can be left out. For example, IP Address: 192.168.1.136.
Perform a Factory Reset to change back to DHCP (and reset the rest of the device to factory defaults) if the saved settings are either incorrect or no longer valid.
EdgeCaster on V8.5 or higher
If an EdgeCaster on software version V8.5 or greater is booted on a network without a DHCP server, the EdgeCaster will fallback to a Link Local IP address (169.254.1.X - 169.254.254.X). This behavior will also be the same if the device fails to renew a DHCP lease. Please note that it could take up to 3 minutes for DHCP to time out and for the device to revert to the default IP address.
VersaStreamers and EdgeCaster on V8.4 or lower
If a Videon device on V8.4 or lower is not assigned an IP through static configuration or a DHCP server, it will default to 192.168.1.100. Please note that it could take up to 3 minutes for DHCP to time out and for the device to revert to the default IP address.
To connect to device in this state, follow our Direct Connect guide