Using a Generic RTMPS setup to stream to Facebook is a little different than a standard RTMP stream. This article will provide step-by-step instructions to set up your Facebook stream using Generic RTMP with a persistent stream key.
- Navigate to the Facebook page which you are streaming to and create a Live Stream
- Select "Create live video" and you may optionally choose to "Create a test broadcast before going live" as well if so desired.
- Under "Select a video source" ensure "Streaming software" is selected
- Under "Streaming software setup", expand the "Advanced Settings" dropdown
- Enable "Persistent stream key" if you do not wish to change the stream key with each streaming event
- Select the blue Copy button beside the Server URL so that rtmps://live-api-s.facebook.com:443/rtmp/ is copied
- Paste this into the Videon Web UI Generic RTMP Stream URL
- Navigate back to Facebook and select the blue Copy button beside the Stream key so it is copied
- Paste this onto the end of the Videon Web UI Generic RTMP Stream URL (FB_stream_key in this example)
- Ensure the box to the left of the URL is set to rtmps:// not rtmp://
- Click Save on the Videon Web UI
- On Facebook, you will be required under "Add post details" to include a Title and Description before being able to start the stream
- Turn On the RTMP output on the Videon Web UI and click Save so Facebook can begin receiving the video source (you should see to the right on the Videon Web UI that the Status is Streaming. If it is says "Error connecting to server..." check the image in Step 10 for URL formatting). If the status says "Pending..." please refresh your browser and it may be necessary to refresh the Facebook page as well.
- Finally, you should be able to select to Start test OR Go live on Facebook