Videon devices are able to be controlled by an XML file hosted on a server. If you already know how to use XML control, below are the XML schema template and an example XML file:
- XML Schema - Shows all of the possible values and what data type should be entered for each field
- Example XML - Shows an XML file configured with example settings
Setting up the XML file
- Download the Example XML file
- Edit the values for your initial configuration
- Also, make sure to erase any unwanted settings since the example XML has almost every field filled in with example information
- Upload the XML file to your hosting server
Linking the Videon device to the hosted XML file
- In the Videon device web browser interface, navigate to Device Settings
- In Device Settings, navigate to XML
- In XML, fill in the URL field with the link to your XML file on the server, click "Test URL" to verify the URL is valid, enable "Configure Using XML", then click save.
- Optionally, you can enable Authentication and enter Digest Authentication credentials if the server hosting the XML files requires Digest Authentication.
- You should no longer need to go into the Videon web browser interface to control your Videon device. All control should be able to be done from the XML.
- Settings that are not set in the XML will not change if configured in the Videon web browser interface
- There will be a warning that settings configured in the Videon web browser interface may be overwritten if there is a conflict with the respective setting in the XML file
Controlling a Videon device with the hosted XML file
To control a Videon device with the configured XML file, simply change a value in the file itself. Once that file is saved on the hosted link, the Videon device will pick up the new settings the next time it polls. The polling interval can be set in the XML or in the Videon web browser interface (default is every 10 seconds).
How do I host my XML file?
There are a variety of hosting methods. Basically all you will need is a server that the Videon device can pull a file from. In our testing, we like to use either a local computer with Simple HTTP Server or upload the XML file to an S3 bucket on AWS
I do not know a lot about XML or how to edit the settings in the file. How do I change the settings in the XML file?
XML control is a feature provided for users who have a little bit more technical knowledge than most might. That being said, we try to stick to our company motto and Simply Move Media, so we believe it is possible to learn how to use this feature. For information on XML, w3schools has some great information.
The basic changes that need to be made to the example XML file to achieve the stream you want will be to change the text between elements. An element is a pair of items that would look like the bold text below:
For example, if you wanted to change your RTMP URL, you would change the URL field inside of the RTMP field, and to turn it on, you would set "Enable" to "true":
Something went wrong, help!
For troubleshooting, visit our XML troubleshooting page